Whey protein isolate is an amazing high protein breakfast drink with multiple benefits. But this drink can also be taken before bed. Now the question is should you take a whey protein shake before bed? The answer depends heavily on your goals. Till now, due to current and prior market trends, it has been advertised that casein protein shakes are good as a night time drink. It is less processed, high in protein, and slow to digest, which keeps you full for extended hours and helps with tissue repairs, meaning your body will stay in an anabolic stage for a long time and amino acids will keep on doing their jobs.
According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, it is said that 10 to 35 percent of your daily calories should be protein, and it has also been proven that the MPS, or muscle protein synthesis, function of protein is the main reason for muscle growth in our body. Exercise, hormone levels, and protein intake all have a significant role in controlling MPS. The gap of about 7 to 10 hours without amino acids in our body will not be a great idea. That is when we are asleep. But in reality, it is not good. Our body needs time to repair itself while it sleeps, and that happens with the help of amino acids, but having to digest them can in fact be a tedious job for the body.
But there are some benefits to having protein at night. Most people start out eating too little protein. The pre-bed shake is the last-ditch effort for people who want to grow muscles and also meet their protein requirements.
Some of the other advantages of having a protein shake at night are:
- Drinking protein shake during night helps to preserve muscles
- It also helps to build muscles at the same time. Our body goes through 2 phases MPS (Muscle Protein synthesis) and MPB (Muscle Protein Breakdown) but not having protein for too long hours will lead to acceleration in MPB. Night time protein shakes ensure that there is a balance between these 2.
- According to a study 40 g of protein shake in the form of shake helps one with better results. Your energy level is boosted by higher lean muscle mass, allowing you to exercise for longer periods of time.
- Consumption of whey protein before bed accelerates the weight loss process. Before night, have a protein shake to help you burn calories while you sleep if you’re attempting to lose weight.
- Improves the quality of sleep. Drinking whey protein shake before bed helps you get tryptophan in your system, it is an amino acid which helps you to relax and fall asleep. It actually helps you secrete serotonin, the happy hormone and melatonin the hormone that helps you induce sleep. Whey protein powder can be combined with milk, yogurt, or soy milk, all of which are excellent sources of tryptophan.
Protein shakes before bedtime: are they recommended?
To conclude the overall discussion, yes, we do recommend a protein shake during the night before bedtime. But it should not be too close to it, as we also believe in good sleep quality, and you should not have to wake up at night to pee too often since you have taken a high amount of liquids at that time.
What are the disadvantages of drinking whey protein before bed?
Ans. There are no side effects from drinking a whey protein shake before going to bed. The issue can be with sugar, one should choose the protein powder that has less sugar or no sugar at all. Consumption of sugar at night may lead to an energy boost, which can further lead to disturbing sleep.
Which foods can help you to improve muscle mass during sleep?
Ans. Some foods that can help you with muscle growth and repair during sleep are: yogurt, curd, paneer, tofu, nuts, etc. These fruits are rich in protein, which will help you improve muscle mass.
How much whey protein shake should you drink in a day?
Ans. The answer to how much whey protein shake to take depends upon multiple factors, like your age, sex, and how active you are. For example:
- Sedentary lifestyle: 0.8 g to 1 g protein per body weight
- Moderately active: 1 g to 1.2 g protein per kg body weight
- Heavy active: 1.2 g to 2 g protein per kg body weight
One scoop of whey protein generally contains 25 g protein per scoop. If you are able to add rest of the protein from your diet then 1 scoop can be enough if not you might require more. Consult with a doctor to ask how much protein powder you should take as per your suitability.
Can you only drink a whey protein shake before bed if you routinely exercise?
Ans. That is not true. You can take a whey protein shake before bed even if you are not working out regularly. In fact, it has many advantages like protein shakes are really convenient to be added to your diet and in very less amounts you get high protein, if you take whey protein shake before your sleep you get the added benefit of gaining muscles while you are sleeping. It also improves the quality of sleep. It provides higher satiety, and you may even reduce weight.
|Proence Nitrobolic Iso Whey Protein, 2 kg|
|Each serving contains 25 grams of complete protein derived solely from 100% Whey Protein Isolate. This supplement has NOT been amino or nitrogen spiked and contain NO whey concentrate, maltodextrin, dextrose or other fillers. This whey protein isolate provide the perfect amino acid profile required for optimum nitrogen retention, protein synthesis and muscle growth.|
|CLICK HERE TO ORDER|
|Proence Nitrobolic Whey Protein 80|
|Proence Nitrobolic Whey 80 is a delicious, creamy, 100% whey protein formula. Our unique protein blend Proence Whey Protein Concentrate is bio-engineered to increase muscle size, strength and promote lean body mass. It delivers an optimal source of whey protein. It is produced by a state-of-the-art, low temperature, ultra-filtration process, which yields an extremely clean, high quality whey protein.|
|CLICK HERE TO ORDER|
|Proence Raw Whey Protein, 3kg|
|Proence Raw Whey Protein in an unsweetened and unflavoured Whey protein supplement which can be used in wherever way the customer. It delivers 24g protein and 5. 2G BCAA per serving (30g) per serving which helps to build lean muscle enhances recovery and reduces muscle loss|
|CLICK HERE TO ORDER|